A JOTW “Can’t Wait” job opportunity from H&R Block!
Looking for a place where your hard work can be FUN and APPRECIATED? Come join H&R Block! This is your chance to join our organization and become part of a known and respected brand. H&R Block is America's 6th largest retail organization. Due to our exciting plans for the future, we have several career opportunities available.
VP/Communications, H&R Block, KANSAS CITY, Mo
Sets company communications strategy based on corporate strategic vision to meet overall company objectives; leads the coordination of and monitors the design and implementation of all public relations efforts throughout H&R Block's departments and strategic business units.
Responsible for setting the vision for H&R Block communications department activities, and the development and dissemination of internal communications for the company, supporting the company's brand strategy. Formulates communications policies and advises top management on policies and communications related issues.
Identifies opportunities to promote and/or communicate with audiences regarding the company's products, services and strategic initiatives. Identifies potential areas of risk and develops external public relations programs to minimize or eliminate risk to the company and its reputation including communications with consumer groups. Develops strategy with the Business Unit Leaders and leads a team to develop external communication strategies. Ensures outside agencies and contractors are being used effectively to achieve the company's objectives.
• Work closely with executive management to develop future program strategy and long-term vision leveraging internal and external communications programs/projects to accommodate future business needs. Inform executives and project steering committees of program/project delivery dates and project details such as risk, cost and major milestones. Serve on various executive steering committees for other projects.
• Ensures all public relations programs complement and support the strategic objectives of the appropriate department or strategic business unit. Reviews and edits public relations plans and materials developed by staff as appropriate.
• Work closely with strategic partners to enable business objectives. Lead and direct large, complex initiatives across the organization by directing the development and implementation of internal and external public relations plans for the company. Develop systems for tracking performance of communication programs against measurable objectives. Ensures both internal and external public relations programs adhere to corporate standards, promote the company's mission and vision, and complement and support the achievement of established objectives.
• Provides strategic guidance to assigned Communications personnel and business unit leaders on how to position products and services to external audiences. Leads a team that plans and coordinates communications activities to ensure the effective and efficient creation and implementation of internal communications activities. Ensures appropriate communication vehicles are utilized. Studies and standardizes procedures to improve the efficiency of subordinates. Provides training and guidance to subordinates.
• Provide strategy and vision in the area of internal and external communications materials – including investment announcements, external media information, associate and external meeting content and message points, memos and organization announcements – as needed.
• Identifies and establishes processes as needed to ensure the effective and cost-effective creation of internal and external communications efforts and materials.
• Lead and direct a team of associates who provide internal and external PR and communications support to their respective assigned departments. Plans, directs and coordinates the activities of assigned communications team to ensure the effective and efficient creation and implementation of internal and public relations activities.
• Provide leadership with ongoing status updates and communications for respective department. Coach direct reports on interviewing skills, supervising techniques, performance management, communication techniques, negotiation strategies and training options.
• Strong people skills and the ability to manage through interpersonal people related issues. Ability to negotiate and encourage others based on industry expertise, experience and knowledge of how messaging impacts financials, associate morale and investors.
• Bachelor's degree in related field or the equivalent through a combination of education and work experience and fifteen plus years of experience in the field of communications.
• Experience with cost benefit analysis in preparing/reviewing business cases and managing a multi-million dollar budget.
• Demonstrated leadership/management, interpersonal, strategic planning, presentation, negotiation, influence management and risk assessment skills.
• Ability to work with external vendors, guide groups toward a vision, and deal with ambiguity.
• Possess good business liaison capabilities.
• Effective project management skills and proven ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously.
• Ability to balance short- and long-term priorities.
• Excellent interpersonal skills to include oral and written communication. Strong presentation skills to communicate and persuade a wide range of audiences.
• Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of public relations principles, practices and techniques.
• Proven success in working with outside vendors such as public relations agencies, design firms, and printers.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively work with the print and broadcast media.
• Ability to plan, organize and complete multiple activities in an accurate, timely manner and cost effective.
• Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment and under extreme pressure.
• Ability to mentor and develop subordinates.
• Demonstrated prioritization and organizational skills.
WHY SHOULD YOU WORK FOR H&R BLOCK?
Your outstanding compensation and benefits package would include:
• Competitive salary and incentive compensation package
• Paid Time Off including
o Vacation (accrues on your first day; 2-4 weeks depending on position)
o Paid holidays
o Sick time
o Short-term and long term disability
• Support for you and your dependants
o Medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D and travel insurance plans
o Adoption Assistance program (up to $3,000)
• Financial Support
o 401(k) plan – $1 for $1 match up to 5% of salary with immediate vesting after 90 days
o Employee Stock Purchase Plan (10% discount on Block stock)
o Tuition Reimbursement up to $5,250 per year
o Tax services (little or no cost)
o Progressive and innovative
o Open exchange of ideas
o Business casual attire with casual Fridays
o Flexible work schedule possible for many positions
H&R Block is a progressive company dedicated to helping our clients achieve their financial objectives by serving as their tax and financial partner. If you meet the above requirements and would like to explore a career with H&R Block, please log onto our career website at www.hrblock.com and submit your resume and profile.
Preparing America's Taxes since 1955
H&R Block is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
*** The Job of the Week newsletter, the Defense Career Opportunities
Newsletter (DEFCON-1), www.nedsjotw.com and www.yourdefcon1.com are a
service of The Job of the Week Network LLC. Ned Lundquist, ABC, is
editor and publisher.
To subscribe to JOTW for free, send a blank email to
To subscribe to DEFCON-1 for free, send a blank email to
The submit a job to share with the JOTW network, send to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Listing a job in the weekly newsletter is free.
“Can't Wait” postings have immediate impact and get immediate results.
To submit a “Can't Wait” announcement, contact Ned at
There is a $300 charge for JOTW “Can't Wait” announcements. There is a
$200 charge for DEFCON-1 “Can't Wait” announcements. You can send to
both lists for $400.
The JOTW Network – A world in communication
For your hospitality, thank you!
You are welcome to distribute this to fellow communicators. You are
welcome to look at the previous issues. To read this list on the web,
http://www.topica.com/lists/JOTW/read or www.nedsjotw.com.
If you want to unsubscribe, read the instructions at the end of this
This newsletter is published by:
Edward H. Lundquist, ABC
7813 Richfield Road
Springfield, VA 22153
+1 703 455-7661
© Copyright 2009 The Job of the Week Network, LLC