Here's a A JOTW “Can't Wait” opportunity from Cheryl Montgomery with the The Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life:
Communications Manager, Pew Research Center’s Forum on Religion & Public Life, Washington, DC
The Pew Research Center (Pew Research) is a nonpartisan “fact tank” that provides information on the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world. It does so by conducting public opinion polling and social science research; analyzing news coverage; and holding forums and briefings. It does not take positions on policy issues. Its work is carried out by a “Core” administrative and publishing unit and these seven projects:
• The Pew Research Center for the People and the Press (people-press.org) led by Andrew Kohut
• Pew Project for Excellence in Journalism (journalism.org) led by Tom Rosenstiel
• Pew Internet & American Life Project (pewinternet.org) led by Lee Rainie
• Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life (pewforum.org) led by Luis Lugo
• Pew Hispanic Center (pewhispanic.org) led by Paul Taylor
• Pew Global Attitudes Project (pewglobal.org) led by Andrew Kohut
• Pew Social & Demographic Trends (pewsocialtrends.org) led by Paul Taylor
Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life Overview
The Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life (Forum), launched in 2001, seeks to promote a deeper understanding of issues at the intersection of religion and public affairs. The Forum pursues its mission by delivering timely, impartial information to national opinion leaders, including government officials and journalists. The Forum functions as both an information clearinghouse and a town hall. As a clearinghouse it tracks and aggregates news and conducts independent research, including surveys, legal backgrounders, reports, books and Q&A interviews. As a town hall, it provides a neutral venue for discussion. In these roles, the Forum serves as an important information resource for political leaders, journalists, scholars and public interest groups.
The Communications Manager is a member of Pew Research Center's Forum on Religion and Public Life. This position is responsible for managing the Forum’s communications with domestic and international target audiences and managing the planning and implementation of all programming and events. The ideal candidate is a hands-on, strategic thinker, who can manage the details well by rolling up his or her sleeves to get the job done. In addition, the Communications Manager assists with Web marketing activities, and works with the senior management team in shaping the Forum’s branding. The Communications Manager is responsible for protecting and reinforcing at all times the Forum’s reputation and brand as an independent, non-partisan, non-advocacy organization that does not take positions on policy debates. The Communications Manager also helps oversee the contact database, ensuring that it serves all of the Forum’s outreach efforts. This position supervises the Communications Associate and Program Coordinator, and reports to the Associate Director for Communications.
• Manage day-to-day media relations and public affairs activities, ensuring that all communications with all audiences uphold the Forum’s standards as being independent and non-partisan
• Work with the Associate Director for Communications in creating rollout strategies for new research, especially for dissemination to global audiences; assisting in development of longer-range communications strategies
• Draft, review and edit documents that communicate the work of the Forum to external audiences, including press releases, media advisories, email alerts, FAQs, talking points, remarks, letters, etc.
• Make appropriate high-level media calls to promote stories and/or radio and television interviews about newsworthy reports and polls
• Manage the Communications Associate, who serves as the initial press contact
• Ensure that media lists are continuously updated and maintained in the contact database
• Manage the process for responding to information requests from key external audiences
• Support web marketing activities and maintain the online press room
• Support internal communications efforts
Events and Programming (20%)
• Manage day-to-day programming and event planning and implementation
• Make day-to-day recommendations to the Associate Director for Communications regarding events, event outreach, speaking opportunities, partnerships, scheduling and budget
• Manage the Program Coordinator and other Forum staff who support programming, events and the contact database
• Manage the Forum’s relationship with external organizations, partners and individuals relevant to Forum programs and events
• Oversee handling of requests from external audiences for meetings with and presentations from Forum staff, including requests from international visitors
• Identify speaking opportunities for Forum research staff, and craft brief remarks as required
• Draft, review and edit documents related to programming and events, including invitations, bios, remarks, scripts, etc.
• Ensure that target audience (non-media) outreach lists are continuously updated and maintained in the contact database
• Oversee the events calendar, which is maintained by the Program Coordinator, on a weekly basis, both electronically and for Pew Research Center/Pew Charitable Trusts reporting and staff meeting agenda
• Manage production and promotion of online video programming, including vendor relations and budget oversight, booking guests, studio design, script writing, post-production, etc.
• Report on results of outreach efforts; draft and edit quarterly activity reports, narrative reports and other grant reporting and evaluation documents
• Help manage the work of communications/public relations consultants
• Help oversee the ongoing development and maintenance of the Forum’s contact database in support of communications and programs
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or related field
• Minimum 8-10 years experience as manager in communications positions, preferably in nonprofit environment
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
• Knowledge of communications strategic planning and tactics
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communications skills
• Excellent writing and editing skills
• Knowledge of and experience writing in AP style
• Familiarity with the Forum’s domestic and international target audiences
• Knowledge of issues relating to religion’s role in public life a plus
• Ability to balance management of junior staff with day-to-day, hands-on implementation responsibilities
• Flexibility and creativity in responding to changing demands and requirements of a fast-growing organization
Applicant should send a complete resume and cover letter (indicating where you learned of the opening) to:
Ms. April McWilliams
Human Resources Manager
The Pew Research Center
1615 L Street, NW Suite 700
Washington, DC 20036
Responses can also be faxed to 202-419-4339 or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
We are an equal opportunity employer.
*** The Job of the Week newsletter, the Defense Career Opportunities Newsletter (DEFCON-1), www.nedsjotw.com and www.yourdefcon1.com are a service of The Job of the Week Network LLC. Ned Lundquist, ABC, is editor and publisher.
To subscribe to JOTW for free, send a blank email to JOTWemail@example.com.
To subscribe to DEFCON-1 for free, send a blank email to DCOfirstname.lastname@example.org.
The submit a job to share with the JOTW network, send to email@example.com. Listing a job in the weekly newsletter is free.
“Can't Wait” postings have immediate impact and get immediate results.
To submit a “Can't Wait” announcement, contact Ned at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The JOTW Network – A world in communication For your hospitality, thank you!
You are welcome to distribute this to fellow communicators. You are welcome to look at the previous issues. To read this list on the web, please visit:
http://www.topica.com/lists/JOTW/read or www.nedsjotw.com.
If you want to unsubscribe, read the instructions at the end of this email.
The JOTW newsletter is published by:
Edward H. Lundquist, ABC
7813 Richfield Road
Springfield, VA 22153
+1 703 455-7661
(C) Copyright 2009 The Job of the Week Network, LLC