Surface Navy Association
30th Annual National Symposium
Hyatt Regency Crystal City
January 9-11, 2018
Defense Career Opportunities Newsletter
DEFCON 1 newsletter for December 13, 2017
Issue # 532
“Wisdom, compassion, and courage are the three universally recognized moral qualities of men.”
This edition of DEFCON 1 comes to you from Springfield, Virginia.
*** Welcome to the latest edition of the number one Defense Career Opportunities Newsletter, “DEFCON-1,” a networking newsletter featuring job opportunities and career advice for those who are part of the global defense, aerospace, maritime, marine technology and security industry.
DEFCON 1 brings you job opportunities every week, and counts on members like you to submit job listings to share and post in this newsletter.
*** Dear DEFCON 1 subscribers,
*** NOTE: I am migrating this newsletter to a new Google Groups List (Defense Career Opportunities Network). If you didn’t receive this newsletter directly by email, you can be included in the group so you can continue to receive this newsletter for free. Just send an email to email@example.com requesting to be added to the DEFCON 1 list.
When you learn about a job opportunity in the defense sector, such as a position that comes open with your company, you send me the title, organization, location, and a brief description; link; or contact information, and I’ll share. This is a cooperative network. That means everyone’s participation is required to provide job opportunities to share.
*** Deep Dive!
Naval Support Activity Panama City provides the education, expertise for divers to learn their trade
By Edward Lundquist
*** Tactical Ninjas!
Surface and Mine Warfare Development Center takes more disciplined approach to tactical training.
By Edward Lundquist
*** Ned’s upcoming travel, maybe, perhaps:
January 29-February 1, 2018 London, UK
*** Surface Navy Association
30th Annual National Symposium
2018 Tue Jan 9th – Thu 11th
Hyatt Regency Crystal City, 2799 Jefferson Davis Hwy, Arlington, VA 22202, USA map
Where: Hyatt Regency Crystal City
When: January 9-11, 2018
Theme: Surface Forces & Cross-Domain Integration
*** Surface Warships
29 – 30 – 31 January – 1 February 2018
*** Here are the DEFCON 1 jobs for this week:
1.) Senior Military Intelligence Analyst Army G2, MCR, Arlington, VA
2.) Quality Assurance Specialist, MCR, Sigonella, Italy
3.) METOC Source Strategy Analyst – Senior, MCR, Springfield, VA
4.) Global Hawk Trainer, i3- Integration Innovation, Inc., MCR, Huntsville, AL
*** From Kim Strong:
6.) Supervisory Public Affairs Specialist, GS-1035-14, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, New York
Mission Statement: The mission of the United States Merchant Marine Academy is to educate and graduate licensed merchant mariners and leaders of exemplary character who will serve America’s marine transportation and defense needs in peace and war.
This position is located at the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, New York. The Supervisory Public Affairs Specialist is responsible to the Deputy Superintendent for appropriate external affairs of the Academy including: public information, website and social media content management, Academy protocol, Congressional liaison, industry, military and community liaison and relations, and other Academy matters involving public affairs.
The ideal candidate for this position will be a professional with proven experience managing a public affairs program for an organization and/or region. This should include developing and implementing comprehensive nationwide communications and marketing projects, establishing and maintaining productive working partnerships with news media, directing and managing the production of executive speeches, presentations, briefing, and special reports, analyzing feedback from the media, program officials, the public, and stakeholders, preferably on a college/university campus or military installation.
PLEASE NOTE: This vacancy may be used to fill similar positions within 60 days for these locations.
As a Supervisory Public Affairs Specialist, you will:
- Develop, coordinate and supervise Academy public relations and public information programs in accordance with established Maritime Administration and Academy policies. Plan, develop and implement comprehensive nationwide communications and marketing projects, campaigns, and publications to convey public information about USMMA programs, strategic initiatives, services, and activities.
- Serve as Academy Protocol Officer, supervising arrangements for all civilian, military and political VIP visitors, Academy official functions and activities which have a public relations or public information orientation. Serve as primary contact and coordinator for all congressional inquiries and requests and maintain oversight on pending and enacted congressional legislation that impacts on the Academy. Coordinate with the Director of Admissions congressional contacts and activities related to the admissions programs.
- Serve as primary liaison with Academy Alumni Association and its sub-groups, the American Merchant Marine Museum, the Kings Point Maritime Association, Melville Hall, and other institutional promotional organizations. Promote and coordinate beneficial Academy/external organization joint activities; Maintain schedule of public appearances and public speaking at external organizational functions to promote the Academy and its programs. Manage the coordination and response to information requests from the news media and others.
- Supervise and maintain a coordinated Academy-wide master calendar which consolidates both internal and external events and activities. Lead formulation and delivery of a proactive national media strategy which includes social media. Serve as primary Academy supervisor and coordinator for major Academy events (Congressional Board of Visitors, Homecoming Weekend, Parents’ Weekend, Graduation Weekend, Community Day, all formal regimental parades, Battle Standard Dinner, etc.) Exercise general oversight and supervision over the development and production of Academy admissions and public information publications.
- Function as Congressional Liaison Officer, serving as prime coordinator for all Academy telephonic and written communication with congressional offices. Maintain ongoing contact with congressional office personnel for public relations issues and matters. Maintain active communication and liaison with industry, military and community organizations as necessary to assist the fulfillment of the Academy mission; Establish and maintain effective relationships with news media and with influential specialized groups interested in USMMA activities and initiatives.
Please note that this position is in the Excepted Service. For information on the Excepted Service, please visit: Excepted Service Appointing Authorities at http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/hiring-authorities/excepted-service/.
MARAD.MMA-2018-0006 (Open to All U.S. Citizens)
$115,652.00 to $150,349.00 per year
7.) Navy Submarine Acquisition/Program Management Support Specialist, AECOM, Washington, DC
8.) Expeditionary Maintenance Technician (EMT) – Engineering Tech, CDI Corporation, Norfolk, VA
9.) Material Management Supervisor, HCI | integrated solutions, Fairfax, VA
10.) Interactive Media Developer, Lockheed Martin, Kings Bay, Georgia
11.) Public Affairs Officer, National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, Department of Defense, Springfield, Virginia
12.) U-2 Mission Planner Instructor, Spectrum Comm Inc., Beale AFB, CA
13.) DCGS Communications, Computer, and Network (CCN) Systems Expert, Spectrum Comm Inc., Edwards AFB, CA
14.) Standardization & Evaluation (Stan/Eval) Support, Advanced Concepts and Technologies International, Lackland AFB, FL
15.) Personal Recovery Rotary Wing Training SME, D3 AIR AND SPACE OPERATIONS INC, Langley AFB, VA
16.) Acquisition Program Manager, BTAS, Bedford, MA
17.) Research Engineer – Electro-Optic Sensors, BAE Systems, Merrimack, NH
18.) Cognitive Algorithms and Systems Research Engineer, BAE Systems, Burlington, MA
19.) Stealth Security Architect (virtual / home office with travel), Unisys, Reston, Virginia
20.) Network Security Architect, RavenTek Business Group, Washington, District Of Columbia
This newsletter is published by:
Edward H. Lundquist, ABC, IABC Fellow
Captain, U.S. Navy (Retired)
7813 Richfield Road
Springfield, VA 22153
+1 703 455-7661
Defense Career Opportunities Newsletter is part of the “Job of the Week” network – A world in communication.
For your hospitality, thank you!
© Copyright 2017 Job of the Week Network, LLC