A JOTW “Can't Wait” job announcement from the USO
*** From Maggie Prado:
Writer, United Service Organizations (USO), Arlington Virginia
The United Service Organizations (USO), the internationally renowned service organization which provides support for active U.S. military personnel and their families, has an opportunity for a talented Writer to join the Communications Department. This position is based in our corporate office in Arlington, VA.
Key Responsibilities: The Writer will produce feature articles for the USO magazine, articles for USO newsletters, copy for USO websites and social media pages, and copy for USO collateral materials used throughout the organization. In this position, you will be an independent contributor – conducting your own research, interviews, fact checking, writing and editing.
• A communications related Bachelor’s degree
• 3 to 4 years writing experience for a newspaper or magazine
• Proficient with following the AP style guide, using MS office and MAC OS X, Adobe CS4 and current desktop publishing programs
• Ability to interact and publish on social media systems
• Ability to learn Website content management programs to publish to USO websites, as well as learning Bronto and other e-mail publishing programs.
The USO is conveniently located in Arlington Virginia and offers a competitive benefits package. To apply, submit resume, salary requirements and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org (reference “ARL 22”) or fax to +1.703.908.6420.
The USO is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Web Communications Manager, United Service Organizations (USO), Arlington Virginia
The United Service Organizations (USO), the internationally renowned service organization which provides support for active U.S. military personnel and their families, is currently recruiting for a Web Communications Manager.
This position is based in our corporate office in Arlington, VA.
• Manage the USO’s online presence via the USO website and social media to increase USO visibility and stakeholder engagement
• Manage the web-posting process by guiding and assisting content contributors in writing submissions for creating new web pages
• Create, edit and publish content (still and video imagery and text) to the USO website, intranet and Ning network site to ensure organizational updates are made in a timely manner
• Ensure the quality, integrity and accuracy of all information submitted for posting to the website
• Manage the USO’s social media engagement, including providing oversight for the USO’s Ning network and third-party social media engagement (e.g., Facebook, MySpace and YouTube).
• Prepare, coordinate and post online graphic and textual communications materials
• Design, test, administer, analyze and produce reports using online feedback and research surveys and other mechanisms, such as web metrics, media room metrics, customer satisfaction surveys, etc
• Manage USO’s online media room
• Bachelor's degree in Communications, Marketing, English or other related field is required
• 3 to 5 years of experience (minimum); prior experience in web site content management
• Experience in executing online marketing tactics
• Experience with online communication and writing for the web medium.
• Proficiency with Mac OS X, Microsoft Office, Adobe CS4 (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Dreamweaver, Acrobat)
• A full understanding of HTML authoring, CSS (cascading style sheets) and web development standards
• Strong project management and organizational skills, including extreme attention to detail
• Excellent communicator, with strong verbal and written communication skills, as well as a strong project management and organizational skills
• Ability to work in fast- paced and team-oriented environment and independently organize work resources with the capability to work on multiple projects and/or assignments simultaneously.
The USO is conveniently located in Arlington Virginia and offers a competitive benefits package. We invite interested candidates to submit resume and salary requirements to email@example.com (reference “ARL 21”) or fax to +1.703.908.6420.
The USO is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
*** The Job of the Week newsletter and www.nedsjotw.com are a service of
The Job of the Week Network LLC. Ned Lundquist, ABC, is editor and
To subscribe to JOTW for free, send a blank email to
The submit a job to share with the JOTW network, send to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Listing a job in the weekly newsletter is free.
Can't Wait” postings have immediate impact and get immediate results.
The cost to reach 10,000-plus communication professionals is just $300.
To submit a “Can't Wait” announcement, or to find out about “Can't Wait”
pricing, contact Ned at email@example.com.
The JOTW Network – A world in communication
For your hospitality, thank you!
© Copyright 2008 The Job of the Week network LLC