A JOTW “Can't Wait” posting from Pew Research Center’s Forum on Religion & Public Life
Communications Associate, Pew Research Center’s Forum on Religion & Public Life, Washington, DC
The Pew Research Center (Pew Research) is a nonpartisan “fact tank” that provides information on the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world. It does so by conducting public opinion polling and social science research; analyzing news coverage; and holding forums and briefings. It does not take positions on policy issues. Its work is carried out by a “Core” administrative and publishing unit and these seven projects:
• The Pew Research Center for the People and the Press
(people-press.org) led by Andrew Kohut
• Pew Project for Excellence in Journalism (journalism.org) led by Tom Rosenstiel
• Pew Internet & American Life Project (pewinternet.org) led by Lee Rainie
• Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life (pewforum.org) led by Luis Lugo
• Pew Hispanic Center (pewhispanic.org) led by Paul Taylor
• Pew Global Attitudes Project (pewglobal.org) led by Andrew Kohut
• Pew Social & Demographic Trends (pewsocialtrends.org) led by Paul Taylor
Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life Overview
The Pew Research Center’s Forum on Religion & Public Life, launched in 2001, seeks to promote a deeper understanding of issues at the intersection of religion and public affairs. The Pew Forum conducts surveys, demographic analyses and other social science research on important aspects of religion and public life in the U.S. and around the world. It also provides a neutral venue for discussions of timely issues through roundtables and briefings.
The Communications Associate is a member of Pew Research Center's Forum on Religion and Public Life. This position is responsible for assisting the Communications Manager in handling the Forum’s media outreach to domestic and international target audiences. The Communications Associate promotes press coverage of the Forum’s work, including its events, publications and polls; writes and edits press releases and other communications materials as assigned; tracks press coverage and screens press inquiries; and assists with internal communications. This position reports to the communications manager.
Press Relations (50%)
• Serve as initial point of contact for press inquiries about Forum events, polls and publications • Track all media inquiries and set up interviews for Forum spokespersons • Cultivate relationships with bloggers and identify appropriate Web sites to promote Forum’s work • Search for media mentions of the Forum and its work on an ongoing basis and maintain and regularly update list of press hits • Create and maintain lists of core and specialized media contacts; update and maintain current contacts and information using in-house database • Assemble press packets for Forum events and follow up with reporters in attendance • Draft media outreach section of Forum’s quarterly tracking reports • Work with Communications Manager and Associate Director of Communications to develop longer range communications strategies Media Outreach: Events, Polls and Publications (20%) • Help to plan and organize press briefings and meetings; assist with logistics at events • Recommend and develop issue-specific and audience-specific media lists • Write and edit copy for media advisories and press releases • Coordinate blast faxes, blast emails, and Web and newsletter publicity • Reach out to traditional and online media through press releases, advisories and phone calls to garner interest about the Forum’s poll and publication releases, and media-related events • Serve as point of contact with newswires, daybooks and C-SPAN • Track and document media outreach activities • Take photographs at Forum events to post on the Web site Electronic Marketing and Outreach (10%) • Track and submit stories for the Web site’s “Pew Forum in the News”
• Update Facebook and Twitter profiles
• Assist with Web marketing campaigns
Internal Communications (10%)
• Assist Communications Manager in planning and implementing internal communications efforts
• Bachelor’s degree required in communications, journalism or English • Media relations experience at policy-related organization or in journalism
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
• 3-5 years of experience with media outreach and knowledge of Washington and foreign press corps • Strong writing and editing skills in materials development for the media and others • Excellent verbal communication skills • Excellent computer skills (Word, Excel, PageMaker, etc.) • Ability to balance multiple priorities, meet deadlines and work well in team-oriented environment • Must be detail-oriented and highly organized • Must be able to think strategically and work tactically • Interest in issues at the intersection of religion and public policy
Applicant should send a complete resume and cover letter (indicating where you learned of the opening)
Ms. April McWilliams
Human Resources Director
Pew Research Center
1615 L Street, NW Suite 700
Washington, DC 20036
Responses can also be faxed to 202-419-4339 or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org We are an equal opportunity employer.
*** The Job of the Week newsletter, the Defense Career Opportunities Newsletter (DEFCON-1), www.nedsjotw.com and www.yourdefcon1.com are a service of The Job of the Week Network LLC. Ned Lundquist, ABC, is editor and publisher.
To subscribe to JOTW for free, send a blank email to JOTWemail@example.com.
To subscribe to DEFCON-1 for free, send a blank email to DCOfirstname.lastname@example.org.
The submit a job to share with the JOTW network, send to email@example.com. Listing a job in the weekly newsletter is free.
“Can't Wait” postings have immediate impact and get immediate results.
There is a $300 fee for posting a “Can't Wait” announcement to the JOTW network.
To submit a “Can't Wait” announcement, contact Ned at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The JOTW Network – A world in communication For your hospitality, thank you!
You are welcome to distribute this to fellow communicators. You are welcome to look at the previous issues. To read this list on the web, please visit:
http://www.topica.com/lists/JOTW/read or www.nedsjotw.com.
If you want to unsubscribe, read the instructions at the end of this email.
The JOTW newsletter is published by:
Edward H. Lundquist, ABC
7813 Richfield Road
Springfield, VA 22153
(C) Copyright 2010 The Job of the Week Network, LLC