A JOTW “Can't Wait” opportunity from Ted Pile at Alpha Natural Resources:
Manager/Director, Internal Communications, Alpha Natural Resources, Abingdon, Va.
Reports to: VP Corporate Communications
Responsible for developing and executing Alpha’s company-wide internal communications strategy, messaging, tactics and tools. Develops a variety of audience-specific media, channels and technologies to deliver consistent, high quality, prioritized communications throughout the organization. Manages Alpha’s social media presence.
• Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred, in communications, journalism, public relations or related field.
• Requires a minimum of five years’ experience in internal communications or similar discipline
• Outstanding ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, at all levels including with C-suite executives
• Solid teamwork and interpersonal skills with the ability to influence and build relationships at all levels of the organization
• Excellent project management and organization skills, highly detail-oriented, with the ability to manage multiple activities and project streams simultaneously and discern priorities
• Strong analytical, conceptual, consultative and problem solving skills
• Creative thinker and strong writer, adept at conceiving and crafting communications that appeal to varied audiences
• Ability to present a positive and professional image
• Expert knowledge of information technology used in internal and external communications as well as standard Microsoft Office products (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook); Microsoft Sharepoint experience, a plus
• Previous experience with HR-related communications, a plus
• Previous experience in a commodity/heavy industry, a plus
• Previous experience managing communications with a non-networked workforce, a plus
• Support visibility of Alpha leadership through appropriate, effective internal communications.
• Establish a communications process and channels to heighten awareness of company’s business strategy and environment.
• Maintain protocol for keeping employees informed in the event of a significant unexpected event or incident.
• Consult with human resources in developing and enhancing communications skills training through Alpha University for leadership and manager/supervisors.
• Provide programmatic communications support, as needed, to other corporation functions undertaking significant initiatives involving Alpha’s workforce.
• Maintain network of business unit site agents for effective dissemination of enterprise-wide communications; support business units on employee communications initiatives as needed.
• Oversee the Communications portal of AlphaNet (One Stop Shop) and implement continued improvements during and after migration to Sharepoint 2010 platform.
• Manage Alpha’s growing presence on social networking platforms (such as Facebook and YouTube) to serve specific business purposes.
• Plan and manage special internal events involving employees.
• Develop and implement standards, procedures, protocols and policies as needed to guide enterprise-wide communications.
• Ensure information accessibility to both networked and non-networked employees.
• Measure efficiency and effectiveness of communications through clearly defined performance metrics.
• Identifies potential risks associated with communication plans and develops successful mitigation strategies to address these risks.