A JOTW Can't Wait opportunity from Mount Vernon
Director, Technology, Web & Digital Media, The Mount Vernon Estate & National Library for the Study of George Washington, Mount Vernon, VA
The Mount Vernon Estate, George Washington’s historic home seeks an Information Technology professional for the Estate and the future National Library for the Study of George Washington. The purpose of the position is to lead both workplace information technology (IT) and new media initiatives for the Estate and Library.
In 2013 Mount Vernon will open a new facility to foster scholarship on George Washington. The state-of-the-art National Library will be located adjacent to the historic Mount Vernon Estate. The incumbent will be responsible for creating an overall IT and new media vision and program for the Library. The incumbent will be an expert in the entire gamut of research technologies, Web and new media, exhibition audio/visual, knowledge management, and computer support activities.
Mount Vernon and the National Library have a user-focused/mission-focused IT philosophy, and as such IT should both enable the traditional work of scholarship and public outreach, and facilitate new kinds of research, discovery, and community. Creative and effective dissemination of Library initiatives to various constituencies is a critical focus of the position.
Major Responsibilities include:
• Planning and Policy
• Web and New Media
• IT and Knowledge Management
• Supervision of staff and projects
– Skill in program management, administration, and staff supervision in a distributed computing environment involving multiple facilities and varying disciplinary requirements
– Fluency with current social media and expert awareness of other electronic outlets for content delivery
– Knowledge of the development, use, integration and support of Internet applications and software
– Knowledge of communications standards and protocols such as TCP/IP and network architecture; Knowledge of scripting and programming languages such as the “C” family of languages, Java, PERL, Basic
– Experience with Drupal content management system and UNIX shell environment
– Demonstrated communications skills in order to determine, negotiate and coordinate technology requirements and solutions; must be able to adapt and respond to users with different levels of computer literacy
– Ability to manage conflicting demands and provide a high level of customer service
– Ability to effectively allocate resources under tight budget constraints
Please forward a resume, cover letter and salary history/requirement by email to either to firstname.lastname@example.org, by fax to 703.780.8320 or by US Mail to POB 110, Mount Vernon, VA 22121.
Mount Vernon is an Equal Opportunity Employer
*** The Job of the Week newsletter and www.nedsjotw.com are a service of The Job of the Week Network LLC. Ned Lundquist, ABC, is editor and publisher.
There is a $300 fee for posting a “Can't Wait” announcement to the JOTW network.
To submit a “Can't Wait” announcement, contact Ned at
email@example.com. The JOTW Network – A world in communication. For your hospitality, thank you!