2022-2023 Gold Quill Awards
The 2023 Gold Quill Awards are now open!
November 7, 2022
The Free Job of the Week Newsletter
This is JOTW newsletter number 1,972
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”
– W.M. Lewis
This edition of JOTW comes to you from Springfield, Virginia.
*** Welcome to the JOTW network!
You are one of more than 5,970+ members in the JOTW subscriber network.
This is the award-winning free Job of the Week e-mail networking newsletter for professional communicators, dedicated to the positive unanticipated consequences of networking, or as we call it, “nedworking.” JOTW is a cooperative service. That means JOTW relies on the contributions of its members, like you. We share job opportunities, news and information about the job market, as well as swapping stories about life’s peculiarities. We connect you with others who are like you, and together we help each other. What a concept. Did I mention it’s free?
*** To submit a job for sharing on JOTW, please provide the job title, organization or company, and location and send it to Ned at firstname.lastname@example.org. Provide a link or contact info so people can check out your listing or follow up if interested.
*** Posting a job is free. Recruiters can submit up to three jobs for free. Each job listing may be posted once in the newsletter for free
I request that you do not send pdf files that I have to copy and reformat. I prefer you provide your very brief job description in an email rather than an enclosure. Please limit the size of your position descriptions (generally to 500 words or less). “Can’t Wait” blast email priority listings are $300, and “Top Job” placement is $100. Just send to me at email@example.com.
*** This is a cooperative service. It relies on your participation and contribution. As you receive the benefit of this free newsletter, you should also send in jobs you learn about. This is especially the case when there are job listings in the companies that you work for.
*** To sign up for JOTW’s new Google Groups list, send an email to Ned at firstname.lastname@example.org and request to join the JOTW listserv. If you received this as an email from email@example.com, then you are on this list.
*** This week’s Can’t Wait postings:
None this week.
Can’t Wait jobs: These jobs are forwarded to the entire list as soon as they are received, and do not wait for the Monday newsletter, and are posted prominently on the JOTW website. Then they are posted first in the weekly JOTW newsletter. Can’t Wait postings cost $300. Contact Ned at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*** This week’s Top Jobs:
None this week.
Top Jobs: Stand above the rest. Your job can be right here, at the top of the weekly JOTW newsletter. Top job placement costs $100 per job per week. To be on top, contact Ned at email@example.com.
*** If you find out about a job opportunity in communications, send it to me (firstname.lastname@example.org), and I’ll share it with the JOTW network.
*** 2022-2023 Gold Quill Awards
The 2023 IABC Gold Quill Awards are now open!
For more than 40 years, IABC’s Gold Quill Awards have recognized and awarded excellence in strategic communication worldwide. Gold Quill is the only awards program that honors the dedication, innovation and passion of communicators on a global scale.
All IABC Gold Quill Award entries are evaluated by international professional communicators with more than 10 years of experience. The majority of evaluators have earned Gold Quill Awards. Many are either IABC accredited or certified by the Global Communication Certification Council. And, all are trained to evaluate entries against established criteria aligned to IABC’s Global Standard of the communication profession.
*** Here’s the link for the JOTW newsletter on the website:
*** One Paragraph Pitch:
None this week.
*** Send your One Paragraph Pitch submissions to email@example.com. You can pitch yourself or your business any way you want, as long as it’s short and to the point. You can include a photo, too! There is no waiting list. Or, if there is, the queue is pretty short. And it’s free! Submit yours today!
*** From Mike Klein:
Hi Ned – you might enjoy this, particularly the section beginning at 1:07:00 – https://abcomm.co.uk/podcasts/episode/episode-69-measuring-what-matters-actions-not-feelings/
*** Free defense industry jobs newsletter
DEFCON 1 – the Defense Career Opportunities Newsletter – is a weekly listing of all types of jobs in the defense-related industries. Subscribe for free. To sign up, send Ned an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and tell him you want to get on the DEFCON 1 listserv. (Note: JOTW is a list of communication jobs in all industries. DEFCON 1 is a list of all types of jobs in one industry.)
*** Ned’s upcoming travel, maybe, perhaps:
No travel planned.
*** Your Very Next Step!
The latest issue of Your Very Next Step newsletter is available online NOW!
Your Very Next Step newsletter for September / October 2022
By Ned Lundquist
This edition of YVNS comes to you from Santa Ana, California
Lots of travel and adventure news, vacation ideas, tips and features.
6 cool volunteer and internship opportunities
17 travel/conservation/adventure jobs
Check it out, because your next adventure begins with your very next step.
“Your Very Next Step” adventure/outdoors/conservation newsletter, published by Ned Lundquist, is a cooperative community, and everyone is invited, no…encouraged, no…urged to participate. Share your adventures with the network today! Send to email@example.com.
To subscribe to YVNS for free: Join our Google Groups Listserv. If you are already a Google Groups member, just sign up for the “Your Very Next Step” group. Otherwise, send Ned an email and he’ll get you on the list. Contact Ned at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you have any interesting travel and adventure stories, tips, suggestions, adventures or destinations to share? Send to Ned at email@example.com for the next issue of YVNS.
*** Here are your JOTW job opportunities for this week:
*** From Timothy Boulay:
I had an opening posted to USAJOBS over the weekend that I hope you can include in your next newsletter.
Since my command has a new hiring authority, everyone, including members of the general public, can apply and have an equal chance of being selected based on qualifications. The position is hybrid with a mix of telework and onsite work, and the advertisement closes Nov. 14.
Naval Air Warfare Center Aircraft Division
Patuxent River, MD
1.) Public Affairs Specialist, GS-1035-11/12, Navy’s Airborne Strategic Command, Control and Communications Acquisition Program, Patuxent River, Maryland
2.) Corporate Communications, ECS Federal, LLC, Springfield, VA
3.) Technical Editor and Writer, Arc Aspicio Consulting, Washington, District Of Columbia
4.) Marketing and Public Relations Manager at Bergstrom-Mahler Museum of Glass, Bergstrom-Mahler Museum of Glass, Neenah, Wisconsin
5.) Manager, Digital Services, EPCOR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
6.) Communications Manager, Constitutional Accountability Center, Washington, DC
7.) Chief Communications Officer- Defence, British Government’s Embassy in Washington D.C., Washington, DC
*** From Judi Spann, APR, CPRC:
I’m hiring a Communications Specialist. Can you please post this on JOTW? Thank you!
8.) Communications Specialist – REMOTE, American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Rochester, MN (Position is REMOTE)
The American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, a national certification board for physicians, is looking for a skilled and adaptable professional for a full-time Communications ¬Specialist position.
- Writes content for various platforms
- Proofreads various communications, including emails, website content, video scripts, print materials, and displays
- Creates short video content and simple graphics for website and social channels
- Maintains online News Center posts, social media, and email campaigns
- Coordinates trade meeting materials
- Assists with volunteer tracking and recognition efforts
- Provides support preparing materials needed for board meetings
- Assists with webinar scheduling, mass email audience sorting and distribution
- Assists with basic photography and videography projects
- Helps with survey creation, dissemination, and results analysis
Minimum Requirements: Bachelors’ degree in communication, journalism, English or related field. Three years’ experience in content writing or public relations. Experience with website and social media content management preferred. Experience with simple design and video editing software preferred.
Candidate must have:
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Understanding of public relations concepts
- Excellent organization and project management skills
- Self-driven and able to set and execute priorities
- Excels in collaboration and team-based work
- Excellent skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent digital media experience to include website Word Press, creating and editing online short videos (interviews and otherwise), podcasts, and some basic graphic design skills
- Candidates who are selected for interviews will be asked to provide three writing samples
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to:
Judi Spann, APR, CPRC
Director of Communications
9.) Communications Director, Kentucky Court of Justice – Administrative Office of the Courts, Frankfort, KY
10.) Manager, Marketing Communications, Harvard Kennedy School, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
11.) Assistant Director of Communications, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
12.) Communications Manager, Boys Club of NY, New York City, NY
13.) Security Cooperation Strategic Communications Program Manager, Odyssey Systems Consulting Group, Arlington, VA
14.) Director, External Affairs, Travel Alberta, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
15.) Senior Associate, Communications Planning, Carat, New City, NY Remote
16.) Director Marketing and Communications, Des Moines University, Des Moines, IA
*** From Bill Seiberlich:
17.) Managing Director, Strategic Communications, Reinvestment Fund, Philadelphia, PA
18.) Senior Coordinator of Public Relations, The American Association for Cancer Research (AACR), Philadelphia, PA
19.) Entry Level Communications Coordinator, Innoteq Inc., Philadelphia, PA
20.) Lecturer in Mass Communication and Public Relations (Full-time), Arabian Gulf University, Manama, Bahrain
21.) Manager, Marketing & Communications, St. Louis Community College, Bridgeton, Missouri
22.) Communications Specialist-School of Medicine, Tufts University, Medford, MA
23.) VP, Communications GRC, Wolters Kluwer, New York, NY
24.) Director, Communications, Tolko, Vernon, British Columbia, Canada (On-Site)
25.) Communications and Public Relations Representative, Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens, Jacksonville, Florida
26.) Director of Communications and Public Relations, OKX, Singapore
27.) Manager of Marketing and Communications, KIPP Jacksonville Public Schools, Jacksonville, FL
28.) Public Information Officer, Wyoming Game and Fish Department, Cheyenne, Wyoming
29.) Assistant Director – Public Information Officer/Social Media Manager, Western Oregon University, Monmouth, OR
30.) Director of Marketing and Communications-College of Education, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL
31.) Communications Officer, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
32.) Communication Studies – Part-Time Faculty Pool, Tacoma Community College, Tacoma, Washington
*** From Jennifer Kukorlo:
Please see attached position description for a full-time Communications and Publications Assistant.
Location is Reston, Virginia. We are currently 100% remote and will be going back to the office two days a week in January, eventually going back three days per week. We work a 35-hour work week (7 hours per day plus a one hour non paid lunch)
Our website is snmmi.org
Jennifer Kukorlo, SHRM-CP
Human Resources Manager
Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging (SNMMI)
33.) Communications Assistant, Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging (SNMMI), Reston, Virginia (Remote/Hybrid)
The Communications Assistant is responsible for providing administrative and production support for the journals—The Journal of Nuclear Medicine (JNM) and the Journal of Nuclear Medicine Technology (JNMT)—and the Communications Department, performing a variety of computer-based administrative duties, peer review support for the journals, services for book production, and other projects as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- The Communications Assistant will oversee intake of new articles through the online submission system and ensure that all submissions are formatted to journal specifications.
- Submissions will be corrected and/or reformatted as needed and returned to author for correction when required material is missing.
- The Assistant will assist authors with the submission process as needed, providing answers to questions, uploading material on their behalf, and troubleshooting errors in the process.
- When submissions are returned to the author for correction, the Assistant will follow up with authors who have not returned their submissions in a timely manner, and police the system for duplicate or redundant submissions created in error.
- The Assistant will exercise judgment in handling non-standard submissions and escalate to the Editorial Project Manager or Assistant Director as needed.
- Additional duties will be assigned as the workflow is changed by internal and external factors and as the Assistant becomes more familiar with operations.
- The Assistant will oversee administrative duties related to the journal, primarily monitoring the journal mailboxes, logging in required forms as they are received, and forwarding messages to their intended recipients.
- The Assistant will monitor the permissions mailbox to screen incoming reprint permission requests before forwarding to the proper recipient. The Assistant will generate permission letters and invoices as needed, including tracking payment for those invoices.
- The Assistant will follow up with authors who have yet to pay their publication fee, as well as produce and track invoices for additional publication fees for excess page count as directed by the Editorial Project Manager.
- The Assistant will provide additional QC on the journal websites and related websites and search for irregularities.
- Additional duties include maintaining the digital article archive, distributing reader surveys, and administering the award sent to student authors of JNM articles (an extensive annual project).
- Assist with newsletter and book administration.
- Review miscellaneous communications for staff as needed.
- Order supplies for the department.
- Perform other administrative duties as needed.
Education and Experience
- Minimum 2 years of publications experience; journal editorial experience a plus.
- Baccalaureate degree preferred.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; editing/proofreading skills a plus; basic test required.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. Ability to handle multiple ongoing projects.
- Excellent word processing and position-related computer skills.
- Ability to work under deadline pressure.
- Professional demeanor in relations with SNMMI members, officers, staff members, vendors, and the public.
- Cooperation with SNMMI members and fellow staff members.
- Maintenance of current position description, position responsibilities roster, and respective standard procedures on word processing files.
- Assumption of delegated authority and responsibility.
Travel required: 0%.
Professional office environment.
Employee will be required to perform other duties as requested, directed or assigned.
Resumes can be sent to Jennifer Kukorlo at firstname.lastname@example.org and Rebecca Maxey (Director of Communications) at email@example.com and Susan Alexander at firstname.lastname@example.org. Susan is the hiring manager, and this position will be reporting to her.
34.) Regional Marketing Communications Manager, North America, Bosch, Burnsville, MN
35.) Communications Coordinator, The Washington Post, Washington, DC
36.) Communications Director, Foundation for Appalachian Kentucky, Hazard, KY
37.) Communications And Marketing Director, Washington, City Parks Alliance, Washington, D.C.
38.) Public Relations Manager, Capgemini Financial Services USA, Inc., New York, NY
39.) Outreach & Communications Specialist, Community Teamwork, Lowell, Mass.
40.) VP, Corporate Communications, Waystar, Louisville, KY
41.) Employee Communication Specialist (Contractor), Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company Limited (TMSC), Hsinchu, Taiwan
42.) Public Affairs Specialist (Communications and Liaison), Internal Revenue Service, Washington, DC
43.) Manager, Corporate Communications, Xometry Inc., Lexington, KY
44.) Specialist, Magazine Editor (Brand Strategy and Communications), American Physical Therapy Association, Alexandria, VA
45.) Director for Communications, National Alliance of Forest Owners, Washington, DC
46.) Communications Consultant, SNV Lao PDR, Vientiane, Laos
47.) Director of Communications, Enterprise Community Partners, Silver Spring, Maryland
48.) Employer Brand Communications Manager, Associated Materials, Cuyahoga Falls, OH
49.) Director of Communications, CENTER FOR WOMEN AND FAMILIES INC., Louisville, KY
50.) Coordinator, Corporate Communications, Oilers Entertainment Group, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
51.) Assistant Vice President – Events Management – Corporate Communications, Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited, Hong Kong, PRC
52.) Cities Manager (Temporary), Eater, at Vox Media, LLC, Remote (US Only)
53.) Communications Specialist, Air Line Pilots Association, West Mclean, Virginia
54.) Head of Media Relations, North America, World Economic Forum, New York, NY
55.) Internal Communications Manager, SoftSol, Inc., (100% Remote role, preferred locations in the instance they may need to go to the office on occasion, Tempe, AZ (1st preference); San Francisco Bay Area, or Austin, TX
56.) Communications and Marketing Manager, Nonprofit Institute, University of San Diego San Diego, California
57.) Senior Manager, Global Corporate Communications, Visa, New York, NY
58.) Communications Director, Green Century, Boston, Mass.
59.) Associate | APAC Corporate communication – Singapore, BlackRock, Singapore
60.) Manager, Marketing & Communications, Innovation Works, Baltimore Corps, Baltimore, MD
61.) Executive Director, Marketing and Communications, Pellissippi State Community College, Knoxville, Tennessee
62.) Internal Communications Specialist – Human Resources, Toyota Tsusho America, Inc., Georgetown, KY
63.) OCM Enterprise Communications Analyst, Archer Daniels Midland Company, Ashland, KY
64.) Director of Communications and Public Relations, BridgePoint Associates, Lexington, KY
65.) Senior Manager, Corporate Communications, Cracker Barrel, Lebanon, Tennessee (Anywhere)
66.) Lecturer of Corporate/Organizational Communication, Department of Communication, UW – Whitewater, Whitewater, Wisconsin
*** Your JOTW Alternative Selection(s) for this week:
67.) Waterfowl Banding Technician, University of Arkansas at Monticello, Monticello, Arkansas
68.) Lead Infant/Toddler Educator, Inquilinos Boricuas En Accion, Boston, Massachusetts
69.) Police Officer (Communications), U.S. Capitol Police, Washington, DC
*** Weekly Piracy Report:
095-22 31.10.2022: 1630 UTC: Posn: 22:47.6N – 070:04.1E, Kandla Anchorage, India.
Around six robbers armed with knives and rods boarded an anchored chemical tanker. Alert duty crew spotted the robbers and immediately informed the Bridge. General alarm raised, PA announcement made, and crew mustered. Upon hearing the alarm, the robbers escaped with stolen ship properties. Incident reported to the Kandla Port Authority.
*** Ball cap of the week: USS Fort Worth LCS 3
*** Coffee mug of the week: Djibouti
*** Polo-shirt of the Week: USS Detroit (LCS 7)
*** Musical guest artist of the week: Bullet for my Valentine
*** To subscribe: Send an email to Ned at email@example.com, and mention the JOTW newsletter.
Your cooperation is requested. Please send job opportunities to share with all JOTW members to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You are welcome to distribute this to fellow communicators. You are welcome to look at the previous issues. To read this list on the web, please visit www.nedsjotw.com.
This newsletter is published by:
Edward H. Lundquist, ABC, IABC Fellow
7813 Richfield Road
Springfield, VA 22153
+1 703 455-7661 (home office)
+1 703 472-8629 (cell)
The JOTW Network – A world in communication
For your hospitality, thank you!
© Copyright 2022 The Job of the Week Network, LLC
*** Ha’ina ‘ia mai ana ka’puana
(And So The Story Is Told)
The 2023 IABC Gold Quill Awards are now open!