*** From Dan Rossetti:
Good afternoon, my name is Dan Rossetti and I work with a firm called Turnkey Sports and Entertainment. I was referred to you by Ted Matthews regarding a position we are currently recruiting for Maloof Sports and Entertainment. The Maloof organization has retained us to search, screen, and recruit a new VP of Communications. I have attached the position description for your review (both PDF and Word). Ted had mentioned you might be able to help us with getting it out to your PR network via your newsletter. Please let me know if you have any questions regarding the specs. I appreciate any and all help you might be able to offer. Thank you very much for your time and have a great day.
Vice President of Communications, Maloof Sports & Entertainment, Sacramento, CA
The Maloof family acquired a controlling interest in the Kings, Monarchs (WNBA), and ARCO Arena effective July 1, 1999. The results have been spectacular. The Kings have evolved into one of the hottest properties in the NBA, on and off the court. And ARCO Arena and the other properties have enjoyed dramatic improvements under the Maloofs’ leadership. The Maloof family’s primary goal is striving toward providing complete customer and employee satisfaction and keeping a long-term commitment to the Sacramento fans and community.
The Maloof family is an experienced operator in the world of sports and entertainment. The Maloof family held a controlling interest in the NBA Houston Rockets from 1979 through 1982, advancing to the NBA Finals in 1981. The Maloof Companies are a diversified group of business ventures including the Palms casino/resort, Maloof Television, a partnership with Universal/Interscope Records, and beverage distribution operating in New Mexico, California and Nevada.
Turnkey Sports & Entertainment has been retained by Maloof Sports and Entertainment (MS&E) to help them identify and recruit a highly qualified, public relations professional to become Vice President of Communications.
The VP of Communications will develop, coordinate, and direct public relations and community service activities for MS&E. The VP of Communication will also ensure that MS&E is proactively responsive to critical local issues and needs while maintaining a visible and positive community presence by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate supervisors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Represent MS&E to the press and public by acting as chief corporate spokesperson for all non-basketball related issues
• Field and direct responses to all non-basketball media-related inquiries
• Plan and implement MS&E's public relations strategies, policies, and procedures for all non-basketball related issues
• Research and write copy for corporate promotional materials
• Develop contacts and relationships with public relations contacts and media representatives to create opportunities for keeping the company and its products or services in front of public and the trade
• Advise on the preparation and presentation of product or service information at trade shows, displays, and exhibits
• Develop ideas and opportunities for feature articles, interviews, presentations, and other public relations activities that promote awareness of the company and its products or services.
• Assist and coach company staff with public speaking engagements, presentations, and preparation of articles for publication
• Work with marketing and advertising personnel to coordinate public relations activities with promotional and sales activities
• Advise management on community service projects and activities
• Develop and manage Public Relations and Community Service Team Members, overall department, and budgets; includes: hiring, coaching, counseling, performance management, growth and development.
• Develop and conduct customer opinion surveys and manage public relations aspects of customer testing programs
• Miscellaneous tasks as assigned by the Chief management of MS&E
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE:
• Broad knowledge of event marketing, media, brand management, promotions
• Experience with company website content management required
• Strong presentation skills (written and verbal)
• Strong organizational and management skills
• Confidence in making sound business decisions and outlining “next steps”
• Confidence in presenting plans and projections to senior management
• Experience developing planning tools, budgets, projections, etc.
• Five (5) to Seven (7) years experience preferred in corporate communications and crisis management
• BA/BS in Public Relations, Communications, Business or related field
• Professional Public Relations certification preferred
• Working knowledge of all Microsoft Office products
• Strong problem solving skills required; must be a strategic thinker
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills and interpersonal skills
• Proven track record in developing relationship with the media
• Strong leadership and people development skills
• Comfortable, confident, friendly on-camera presentation skills
• Ability to meet the physical demands to successfully perform the essential functions of the job; reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions
If you are interested in this position, please do not contact MS&E directly as this will only delay consideration of your qualifications. Please contact Turnkey for further information.