Defense Career Opportunities Newsletter
DEFCON 1 newsletter for September 1, 2021
Issue # 717
This edition of DEFCON 1 comes to you from Springfield, Virginia.
*** Welcome to the latest edition of the number one Defense Career Opportunities Newsletter, “DEFCON-1,” a networking newsletter featuring job opportunities and career advice for those who are part of the global defense, aerospace, maritime, marine technology and security industry.
DEFCON 1 brings you job opportunities every week and counts on members like you to submit job listings to share and post in this newsletter.
*** Sign up for regular free delivery of this newsletter through Google Groups by sending an email to Ned at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*** When you learn about a job opportunity in the defense sector, such as a position that comes open with your company, you send me the title, organization, location, and a brief description; link; or contact information, and I’ll share. This is a cooperative network. That means everyone’s participation is required to provide job opportunities to share.
*** Ned’s upcoming travel, maybe, perhaps:
Sept. 21-24 Port Hueneme CA
Oct. 4-7 Sahuarita , AZ / Scottsdale, AZ
Oct. 21-24 Los Angeles, CA
Nov. 10-18 London, UK
*** Here are your DEFCON 1 jobs for this week:
1.) Acquisition Analyst, MCR, El Segundo, CA*
2.) Operations Research Analyst, Specialized and Proven Aircraft Program Office (PMA-226), NAVAIR, MCR, Patuxent River, MD*
3.) HR Benefits Administrator, MCR, McLean, VA*
(* Note: I work for MCR. If you are qualified and interested in any of the MCR positions above, send your resume to me (at email@example.com) when you apply and I’ll also contact the hiring manager on your behalf. I am entitled to an employee bonus if you are hired.)
4.) Maintenance Control Supervisor P3/C-130, Amentum, Point Mugu, California
5.) USNORTHCOM J5 Strategy, Policy and Doctrine Studies, Analyses, and Evaluations, ITA International, Colorado Springs
6.) Inert Ordnance Logistics Support, First Division Consulting, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida
7.) Tactical Diving Support, First Division Consulting, Panama City, Florida
8.) Training Administrative Support, First Division Consulting, Naval Station Great Lakes, Illinois
9.) Junior Engineers – Navy Undersea Weapons and Warfare Systems, Synchron, LLC, Fairfax Station, VA
10.) Technical Program Manager/SME, Kalani Consulting, Springfield, VA
11.) MICROSOFT DYNAMICS DEVELOPER (Ability to Obtain a Public Trust Clearance), Kalani Consulting, Washington, DC (remote during Covid)
12.) Lead Infrastructure Engineer / Program SME, Kalani Consulting, Inc., Springfield, VA
13.) Operations Analyst- Undersea Warfare, Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory, Laurel, MD
14.) UH-60M Aircraft A&P, Sky Quest Aviation LLC, Stafford, VA
15.) Aircraft Mechanic II/Sheet Metal (UH60), Amentum, Aberdeen, MD
16.) Modeling & Simulation Engineer Level II, TECHGUARD SECURITY LLC, Fort Meade, MD
Senior UNIX System Administrator, TECHGUARD SECURITY LLC, Mechanicsburg, PA
18.) Corporate Communications Specialist, TECHGUARD SECURITY LLC, Springfield, VA
19.) IT Systems Administrator, SpaceX, Vandenberg, CA
20.) Advanced Systems Engineer, Venturi, LLC., A Chenega Company, Huntsville, Alabama
21.) Senior Helpdesk Technician, Strategic Systems Programs (SSP) Strategic Weapons Facility Atlantic (SWFLANT) Support Services effort, Chenega Analytic Business Solutions, LLC, Fort Eustis, Virginia
*** From Erin V. Copland:
I’d like to post a job announcement with your site, newsletter, or network. If you need any other information, please let me know.
Erin V. Copland
Acting Communications Manager
Outreach and Transition Specialist
National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START)
University of Maryland
22.) Senior Researcher (University Rank: Principal Faculty Specialist / Assistant Research Scientist, or Associate Research Scientist), National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START), University of Maryland, College Park, MD
The National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START) is hiring 2-3 senior researchers at the University of Maryland, College Park. These are full‐time positions, with an initial term of 12 months (starting in fall 2021), with potential for renewal given availability of funding. U.S. citizenship is required for these positions. ABDs are welcome to apply, but you must have been awarded and conferred your PhD by the end of the appointment to be eligible for a contract extension, contingent on the availability of funds.
START is embarking on an expanded research agenda on irregular warfare and asymmetric threats in addition to terrorism. To this end, START seeks highly motivated individuals to join a community of scholars dedicated to basic and applied research related broadly to national security, irregular warfare, and terrorism/counterterrorism.
These duties include but are not limited to:
- Serve as Principal Investigator and/or Co-principal Investigator on sponsored awards
- Primary authorship of research deliverables for projects
- Peer‐review editing of deliverables and proposals with multi‐method research design
- Database and codebook design
- Quality control concerning multi‐method empirical analysis and data visualization
- Proposal writing and research design
- Represent research projects at professional meetings, academic conferences, and public-facing events.
- Mentor junior staff in research methodology and areas of substantive expertise
Required Qualifications (All Ranks):
- Demonstrated knowledge of data integration/aggregation, database design, and data framework development
- Demonstrated knowledge in at least one of the following methodologies (including the ability to both communicate and design within those methodologies):
o Statistical modeling (including, econometric/structural data, event data, survival analysis, forecasting models, etc.) from structured data sources
o Computational modeling techniques (machine‐learning algorithms and structural topic modeling, social media analytics, automatic textual analysis) of unstructured data sources
o Computational social science (such as agent‐based modeling)
o Survey design and enumeration
- Demonstrated knowledge of one of the following:
o Comparative case study (historical)
o Ethnographic methods
o Key informant interviewing methodologies
o Focus group methodologies
o Qualitative Comparative Analysis (QCA)
o Grounded theory
o Discourse analysis
o Regional and/or country expertise (with relevant language fluency) pertinent to geographic areas of research inquiry
- Demonstrated knowledge of existing literature and theory related to at least one of the following:
o International and/or transnational conflict processes involving violent non‐state actors
o Counterterrorism and/or counterinsurgency
o Preventing/countering violent extremism
o Asymmetric threat and/or irregular warfare
o Stabilization, security, transition and reconstruction operations
- Ability to work independently and as part of a small team
- Ability to handle pressure and meet deliverable deadlines
- Flexibility to switch topic areas and tasks as projects require
Required Qualifications (Principal Faculty Specialist):
- At least ABD in a social science or other relevant field (with letters of support about estimated finish date, if necessary)
- At least one year of past research experience on topics related to this position
Required Qualifications (Assistant Research Scientist):
- Ph.D. in social science or other relevant field
- At least two years of past research experience on topics related to this position
Required Qualifications (Associate Research Scientist):
- Ph.D. in social science or other relevant field
- Five years research experience post-receipt of Ph.D.
- At least five years past research experience (pre- or post-Ph.D.) on topics related to this position
- At least two years of prior supervisory experience
Preferred Qualifications (All ranks):
- Evidence of grant or competitively awarded funding, or revenue growth of a mission-driven organization
- Familiarity with federal granting and funding processes
- Publication track record on topics related to this position
- Experience with overseas field research
- Experience in implementing quality control procedures
- Superior writing and presentation abilities
- Experience and interest in curricular or professional education on topics related to this position
- Experience interacting with the news media, including providing expert commentary on current national security issues.
The annual salary for this position will depend on education and experience, with the salary ranges of the UMD Research Faculty Ranks below:
- Principal Faculty Specialist $75,000-$85,000
- Assistant Research Scientist $85,000-$110,000
- Associate Research Scientist $115,000-$125,000
Successful candidates will be eligible for standard University of Maryland benefits, including 22 days of annual leave, 3 personal days and 15 days of sick leave; paid parental leave; tuition remission; health and dental insurance; and retirement. Telework of up to 3 days per week is allowed, pending supervisor approval. More information regarding University of Maryland benefits is available here.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled, with a best consideration date of Tuesday, September 7, 2021, with applications to be reviewed on a rolling basis until all positions are filled, and an anticipated start date (to be negotiated with the successful candidates) in Fall 2021.
Please submit application materials by email with the subject line “START Senior Researcher” to START Executive Director Amy Pate at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- a cover letter,
- resume/CV with contact information for three references,
- 2 short writing samples (~5 pages each) demonstrating methodological expertise(s) in different areas,
- Statement (~1 page) highlighting current and future research interests
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, gender, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, national origin, or political affiliation. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.
22.) LEAD INTERDISCIPLINARY, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland, U.S. Army Communications Electronics Command, Department of the Army, Aberdeen, MD
This newsletter is published by:
Edward H. Lundquist, ABC, IABC Fellow
Captain, U.S. Navy (Retired)
7813 Richfield Road
Springfield, VA 22153
+1 703 455-7661
Defense Career Opportunities Newsletter is part of the “Job of the Week” network – A world in communication.
For your hospitality, thank you!
© Copyright 2021 Job of the Week Network, LLC