A JOTW “Can't Wait” opportunity for a Trade Association Director of Communications
Trade Association Director of Communications, Office located in Georgia, but position may telecommute.
Must be able to travel 25-35% and be at office as required. Position reports to CEO
Basic Function: The Director of Communications will set and guide the strategy for all communications and public relations messages as well as collateral materials, to consistently articulate trade association mission. The Director of Communications will ensure the association is viewed as the primary source, disseminator, and conduit of information regarding issues within its network and constituent base. The Director of Communications will work closely with staff and board members (when appropriate) as the leader on strategic communication initiatives.
· Develop, implement, and evaluate a communications plan that incorporates annual goals and objectives
· Lead the generation of online content and social media strategies that engage audience segments and leads to measurable action. Decide who, where, and when to disseminate.
· Manage the development and execution of all advocacy and public relations campaigns.
· Manage communications vehicles to create momentum and awareness as well as to test the effectiveness of communications activities
· Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral
· Mentor and lead a team member responsible for website administration and coordination
· Coordinate webpage maintenance–ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly
· Coordinate and organize special events that engage members as budget allows
· Manage and engage all media relationships, especially trade reporters; serve as spokesperson for the association as appropriate.
· Assist in the planning and execution of the Annual Convention and International Trade Show including member communications, promotion, earned media, scriptwriting and talking points.
· Promote the value of association membership to members and potential members; assist in communications strategies to recruit and retain members.
· Attend special events and meetings as appropriate.
· Supervise any external communications or advertising vendor relationships
· Create messaging and testimony for staff and volunteer leaders to use with legislators on advocacy issues
· Do not send a cover letter. (Your resume must speak for itself, and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than noon EST Nov 4, 2011)
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university in Communications, English, PR, or Marketing.
· APR and/or other advanced accreditations preferred.
· Knowledge of electronic press release dissemination subscription services.
· Minimum 15 years of communications experience, ideally in an “in-house” leadership role within a complex (number and variety of constituents) nonprofit entity, and covering areas such as website content, newsletters, and member communications.
· The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical.
· Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
· Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills in a variety of styles such as speeches, Op-Eds, news releases, advertorials, etc.
· A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
· Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to “manage by influence”
· High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
· Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, legislators, media and other supporters
· Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
· Extensive on-the-record experience with the press and established relationships with reporters (PORTFOLIOS WILL BE REVIEWED)
· Salary commensurate with experience, ranging between $70s-80s.
*** The Job of the Week newsletter and www.nedsjotw.com are a service of The Job of the Week Network LLC. Ned Lundquist, ABC, is editor and publisher.
There is a $300 fee for posting a “Can't Wait” announcement to the JOTW network.
To submit a “Can't Wait” announcement, contact Ned at
email@example.com. The JOTW Network – A world in communication. For your hospitality, thank you!